Challenge will increase the use and value of soybean meal in existing markets.
ST. LOUIS (Dec. 12, 2022) — The Yield Lab Institute (YLI) and United Soybean Board (USB) are extending the application deadline to Dec. 20, 2022, for the Soy Innovation Challenge. The Challenge will drive more value for soybean meal by supporting:
- Innovations that increase use and value for soybean meal in animal agriculture, aquaculture, pet foods and soyfoods for human consumption.
- Innovations that advance the commercial viability of existing uses and segments in both food and feed spaces, overcoming the technical challenges of increasing soybean meal usage.
- Innovations that advance the transportability and storage viability of soybean meal.
Ag-tech startups, project/research teams, innovators, entrepreneurs, scientists and research groups can submit their idea or innovation for consideration online. This includes entities that operate in the soybean meal value chain. The challenge is sponsored by USB, Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Solis Agrosciences. The selected teams will compete for:
- $170,000 in cash prizes courtesy of USB.
- $5,000 in in-kind technical services and credits per finalist courtesy of AWS.
- Mentorship and entrepreneurial networking from a global network of ag-tech business and technical leaders courtesy of YLI.
- Gene-editing and transgenic plant generation/transformation and other research services courtesy of Solis Agrosciences.
“With a favorable market for soy, an increased interest in enhancing the existing value of soybean meal is often forgotten in the equation. This innovation challenge will uncover ideas and technologies that will drive more value for soybean meal and its constituents within existing markets and uses. This is truly an exercise in circular economy and optimizing the bean,” said Brandon Day, chief operating officer of YLI.
For more information about The Soy Innovation Challenge, please visit www.thesoychallengelive.com.
Paul Murphy-Spooner at United Soybean Board, 515.975.6584.