Soy Checkoff Works to Capitalize on Evolving Soy Oil Market
Checkoff-funded research helps meet diverse demands for U.S. soy oil
Whether it’s for healthier cooking oil, cleaner-burning fuel or renewable products you can use on your farm, soy oil demand continues to grow and diversify.
The soy checkoff has met the changing demand for U.S. soy oil by working with the U.S. soy industry to develop new varieties. For example, the checkoff supported development of high-oleic soybean varieties, which help food companies avoid trans fats.
“High-oleic is currently the driver, and I think it is very important,” says United Soybean Board Production program Chair Jim Schriver, an Indiana soybean farmer. “We see high-oleic as probably becoming a larger and larger percentage because it’s very adaptable. It yields comparable to other soybean varieties. It’s actually very seed-friendly, very farmer-friendly and more importantly, it adds value to the market and to our oil.”
Researchers are also working on soybean varieties with other traits that should be beneficial to human health, such as increased stearic acid and omega-3 fatty acids.
Soy oil accounts for about 20 percent of each soybean, check out what we’re doing with the other 80 percent here.